Monday, July 18, 2011

The old mantra








It's become quite the tired old mantra here at the slow rpm world head quarters.'If I can do it,you can too'.It would be presumptuous and irresponsible of me to write this as a 'how to'.Best I leave that to the experts. Still, it's my second wheel and the first that I feel confident enough to put onto a bike.

The hub is a salvaged Shimano S3 internally geared unit laced with 36 shiny new stainless steel spokes to the original rim. I haven't splurged on a truing stand at this stage;just flipped the bike over and used my thumb and the brake pads. For advice I alternated between 3 excellent texts. 'Zinn and the art of road bike maintenance' by Leonard Zinn,'The bicycle wheel' by  Jobst Brandt and 'wheel theory' by the late Sheldon Brown. The only tool I purchased was a basic spoke wrench.

5 comments:

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

I have done a bicycle rim or two in my day, even motorcycle rims. In-the-forks truing always worked for me.

Chandra said...

That's very cool, if you ask me! I have never built a wheel.

Peace :)

slow rpm said...

To be honest with you,it's the fear of failure that drives me on these projects.I just couldn't bare the thought of taking my half built wheel to those 'pros' at the LBS to fix up,so I just keep going until it's done proper!

DAN said...

Nice, How did it turn out?

the Slow Schlepper said...

G'day Dan.

Not too bad,if I do say so myself . I have since sold the bike,though. I build all of my own wheels now.To be honest with you, it's not that difficult. You just need some time and a little patience.

cheers,

Ian