Wednesday, December 7, 2011

200






Well,here I am,post number 200.I've been thinking a lot about blogs lately. As Nora Ephron so eloquently put it, a blog is a little like a bubble.One prick and it's gone.I think she has a pretty good point.How many of us get past the first page of a blog we've just discovered,let alone the whole 200 posts? Still ,for a literary tyro like me, a blog is a chance and be 'published',and isn't there a secret little thrill when checking the stats first thing every morning?

Facebook never really did it for me.What is it with all of those 240 friends? I found the whole thing quite creepy, commenting on the comments of friends of friends and spending far too much time reading the walls of people I had long ago lost contact with.Stalking?Call it what you will,but I'm long since gone from there.

Blogging was a much better fit. The chance to create something and crap on, about pretty much nothing with people I have never met from all corners of the globe.People,I might add, whose own blogs,I read from afar,that make me realize how limited my own talents are.I'm always incredibly chuffed when someone comments on a post I've written.The fact that they've taken the time to switch on,log in,troll through the favourites and then send some kind words to soothe my pitiful ego.


And what about etiquette? Well,I'll always take the time to reply to a comment.That's a given,right? Unless of course you're a blogger superstar like Colville Andersen,the velo satorialist.But is it OK to then comment on a reply?or comment on a comment by someone else? What do you reckon? I'm doubly chuffed when someone lists my blog on thier front page.That's pretty cool,eh?


I know we'll never meet,but I do care,even if in some remote way,about my fellow bloggers.I wonder, when they haven't blogged in a while.Have they just lost interest or moved onto something else?Are they OK? I do worry about you,just a little, when you go off the air. So, fellow bloggers.Here's to you, from whatever far flung corner of the webs you come from. Please don't give up.I'll be missing you if you do.

6 comments:

BB said...

Congrats!!! . . . and here's a comment for your stats!

I am so pleased that someone else feels the same way about facebook. I do not want to read that a girl I met at a concert 5 months ago (for all of 3 mins) is cooking casserole for dinner! Why are 'friends' not called 'contacts'? I mean, in real life, anyone stating they had over, say, 3 dozen friends would either be suspected of fibbing or confusing the definition of 'friend' with that of 'acquaintance'. Let's not even get started on the number of people I know who have had something written on their wall that the author would not have the audacity to say to their face.

Nope, blogging is a much more genteel pastime. It requires reflection and thought rather than knee-jerk reaction and white-noise.

You've also guilted me into taking time to blogging myself tomorrow :)

Here's to another 200 Slow RPM posts!

Trevor said...

Congratulations on your 200th post...

I must say I agree with the thoughts on facebook and also how you feel about blogging and your fellow bloggers.

A blog post seems to be a modern mix of a magazine article - a diary entry and a note to a pen pal.....but whatever it is I wish you well with your next 200 posts and just to let you know that I will be dropping by to read them.

-Trevor

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

Great post. My sentinments exactly. I've never done Facebook and never will. It isn't like I don't know anything about it as my wife gets involved with it and I've done my best to remain uninterested. She maintains that it is a great way for people from long ago to reconnect with you. Why would I even consider? I might owe someone some money. But there is a former girl friend I would like to make contact with just to tell her "I am sorry". Good show for #200.

slow rpm said...

aaawh,shucks,BB.I must fess up about facebook. I log on only for December to send Christmas greetings and catch up with friends/ relatives from distant corners of the globe. But here's the rub. It seems very boring now and one dimensional.But then again,a blog about old bikes? I'm also wondering whether I have breached some kind of face book etiquette for logging out these last 11 months.? Or am I just a john-come-lately?

hhhmmmmm.

slow rpm said...

Thanks PT. I'm already looking forward to your next trans continental trip and also your excellent product reviews.

cheers,

ian

slow rpm said...

G'day John Lee. Thanks! A sailor sitting onboard his ship in Burnie, reading daily the exploits of a man and his cat as they travel around America in a motor home. Yup,you've got to love the internet!