Tuesday, March 6, 2012

streamlined




There was a time,when an Australian visiting an American city for the first time, could be overwhelmed by the exoticness of it all.Cars with names like Buick,Futura,Impala and Chevrolet.Trucks built by a bloke called Peter and a tank of 'gas' measured in 'gallons'.Now,with the dreaded creep of'globalization',every city is pretty much alike.Gap, Crispy Creme,Jeep and Freightliner can be  found in any city in the world these days.

So when I cycled past this lovely old Airstream caravan the other day,my heart skipped a little beat.The shiny stainless steel curves all held together by good old fashioned rivets punched in by good old American hands.I could imagine myself retiring in one of these things.Parked behind the beach somewhere,with a rusty old bike and a couple of surfboards underneath.Must have a chat with my co-pilot one of these days.

6 comments:

Trevor said...

They are a thing of caravan beauty aren't they....
I could live in one and luckily my other half agrees, so who knows what the future might hold........

-Trevor

anniebikes said...

Airstreams are so appealing. I watch our neighbors leave every winter with their silver bullet, off for another adventure.

Chandra said...

Remarkably shiny and beautiful! I, for one, don't mind globalization as much as I mind cheap, low-quality stuff made-elsewhere, wherever elsewhere is.

Peace :)

slow rpm said...

Hi PT. I would have a boat builder do the fit out.These things require class!

cheers

slow rpm said...

Hello AB.I put Airstream in the same class as John Deere,Park Tool,Webber and Phil Wood.Good,rock solid American engineering. Wish there was more of it.

cheers,

slow rpm said...

G'day Chandra.

I agree with you,%100.Now ,if only I could tow that big old Airstream behind the slow schlepper.

cheers,