Tuesday, August 7, 2012

made here~Busyman Bicycles




With the recent news  of yet another Australian car components manufacturer going out of business and laying off a couple of hundred workers, and in view of the rapid decline in sales of the Falcon (Ford) and Commodore(Holden/GM) ,I thought this would be good time to continue my series on quality ,Australian made stuff. I see manufacturing in this country going either of 2 ways. Goods such as these which can be CNC'd with little or no human intervention or,beautiful handcrafted objets made for those who don't mind spending a few extra bobs on something wonderful.


Mick Peel,operates under the banner of Busyman Bicycles from his house in inner suburban Melbourne. He takes a tired, worn out saddle and creates a thing of beauty.Truth be told, I almost threw this into the wheely bin. I'm glad he talked me out of it. Not only is it the most comfortable saddle I've ever owned, it's now a coveted work of art. No quick release on this little lion.

9 comments:

Vicki said...

Fantastic job, I think they were featured in Treadlie a few months ago. Does the price compare well to new leather saddles?

anniebikes said...

Wow. Glad you sprang for the new saddle.

I have a link on my blog to this craftsman/artist. I am stunned every time I see his work. Breathtaking.

slow rpm said...

Hi Vicki.Probably not appropriate for me to mention price. A basic recover like my cycling mattress would run about the same as a new Brooks B67.Much better value in my opinion. (a more complex design would probably be a lot less than the price of that carbon fibre saddle that fell of the Spaniards bike in the olympic track race.

cheers,

BB said...

Ian, it's a stunning job! Beautiful, unique and comfortable. Well worth artisan rates. It looks gorgeous, Congrats!

Chandra said...

WOW - what a beautiful restoration!
Wonderful job, Ian!
Congrats!!

slow rpm said...

Hello Ms Bikes. If you love your treadlie, and plan on keeping it for a long time ,I would say it's definetly worth the extra few dollars. One of these saddles would really give it that sense of elan.

cheers,

Ian

slow rpm said...

Why ,thankyou,BB. These old French saddles are so well made and engineered, I'm glad I resisted the temptation to give it the old heave ho.

cheers,

Vicki said...

Thanks for the info Ian

slow rpm said...

Chandra~ Mick does a synthetic version for the vegetarian cyclist. Perfect for the Brompton?

Ian