Tuesday, February 12, 2013

happy birthday Monsieur Mercier


In the 1970s ,Peugeots were imported into Australia by the gazillion,Gitanes by the squillion. Merciers and Motobecanes almost never, probably, only privately by citizens returning from overseas.I had to pinch myself when this 1973 Mercier came up on ebay recently, only 20k away. It's a pretty basic bike, a little rough around the edges. I'll give it the slow-schlepper makeover for the time being.New cranks,wheels chain etc and then wait and see what happens.I know that  decals are available, but re-painting would take something away,hey? And besides,I like the character given by it's naturally aged patina.

2 comments:

anniebikes said...

Oooh, that's a nice bike. Don't paint it; it's beautiful as is. Have you ever seen the Mercian's on this blog?
http://midlifecycling.blogspot.com/
scroll down on the right side of her blog and drool...

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

Don't paint it! Your last line says it all.