Wednesday, March 19, 2014

hey ho,let's sew

Confession: I'm the son of a home eco teacher. We always had a sewing machine lying around the house and my mum taught me the basics at a pretty early age. Spooling and threading the bobbin, the meaning of 'bias binding', feeding the fabric etc
When it came to machines, there was only one to be had in our household. A Bernina 707. This lasted about 40 years before finally giving up the ghost. Long before that happened, mum had graduated to a Bernina 1000 which is the machine I am  currently using. It's still a fairly basic machine by today's standards but an adjustable straight stitch and zig zag is all I will ever need.
I find sewing extremely relaxing, and also a little challenging. Similar to engineering perhaps? Creating a pattern, calculating material requirements, construction technique, not to mention sequencing and waste reduction. So this is my current obsession . Designing and sewing the perfect cycle cap for the rider who doesn't want to look like Cadel Evans. 'No 16' cycle caps, perfect for the mid life crisis.

5 comments:

anniebikes said...

I'm a sewer too, but my father taught me me everything I know about my sewing machine. He does all the mending in his household. Your cycle cap looks great.

m e l i g r o s a said...

i took 'one' sewing class and loved it. wonder why i havent gotten back into it. i'm a fan! so cool. really like the mix+match. where can one buy a hat from you?! :)
-meli :D

the Slow Schlepper said...

Your Dad sounds like a great guy,Annie B.Our household was more traditional.Mum taught us the basics
of home eco, and Dad taught me and my sisters the basics of woodwork or 'shop' as they say on your side of the Pacific. Of course, it's only now, 40 years later that I really appreciate what they passed on.

cheers,

Ian

the Slow Schlepper said...

Hey Meli. I flicked you an email at your blog;just let me know your postal address and I'll flick you a cap.Don't worry about $$$.I'd be stoked to think someone in SF was wearing a No 16!

(you too Annie B)

cheers,

m e l i g r o s a said...

responded! THANKYOUUUU for the email :)
have a nice weekend!